Tour of Jamestown’s Top 5 Local Favorite Foods
by Jennifer Nannenga and Michelle Oslund
Every visitor is looking for that hidden gem in a community. Here are some hidden food gems that our locals like to rave about!
1. Our first stop is to the Polar King Drive-In, which is definitely a hometown original. When you first walk in you may be distracted by the decor, but don’t worry, they don’t bite. There are many tasty treats at Polar King, but the locals favor the Strawberry Butter Sherbet. This smooth, creamy, and icy treat is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth on a warm summer day. The right amount of strawberry with a smooth buttery flavor, really sets this apart from other sherbets.
2. Our next stop is the S & R Truck Plaza. Now you may think, what does a truck plaza have to offer? Besides fuel resources and convenience needs, this truck plaza has a cafe. When you first walk in, you are greeted by smiling faces, willing and ready to help you. However, locals don’t just stop for the friendly service. They come for the caramel rolls. This gem does not disappoint. Paired with a cup of coffee this sweet and soft roll will start your morning off right. Prepare your taste buds for the best caramel roll in Jamestown! Loaded with caramel, but not overly spiced; this roll is a perfect balance of soft and firm. Served warm, make sure you stop by early enough to grab one before they are all gone!
3. Our next food gem is different from the rest, in that it can only be found on Thursdays. The Depot Cafe serves warm and tasty knoephla soup every Thursday. Knoephla soup is a regional favorite dumpling soup. Make sure you come in early enough to snag a bowl before it is all gone. Pair it with a sandwich for lunch or just stop in for a bowl. The soft and chewy knoephla dumplings are really the center-piece of this creamy and well-seasoned soup. Even if it is not Thursday, make sure you stop in at the Depot Cafe to see what other hometown items they are cooking up. This local cafe features other regional culinary choices.
4. Plantation Coffee Bar is the only coffee bar in Jamestown with a drive-thru for the visitor’s convenience. If you aren’t in a hurry, step inside and see the modern and homey interior. Our reason for this stop is for their famous chai tea. One local claims that chai from Plantation is her all-time favorite. The perfect, not overpowering blend of spices is what keeps her coming back. Even if you aren’t a fan of chai, make sure you stop in to find your favorite menu item that can keeps you going and keeps you coming back!
5. Our last stop on our food gem journey is to La Carreta Mexican Restaurant. Stepping into La Carreta is a treat in itself. The murals on the walls really add to the ambiance of the restaurant, but this is just the beginning of your experience. Fried ice cream is our final gem for this tour. This dessert is full of contrasts that will tickle your taste buds; sweet and salty, crunchy and smooth, spicy and mellow, and cool and warm. Order this to end your meal the right way, or just stop in to treat yourself.
Thank you for taking the time to go on this tour with us! We hope you enjoy these gems as much as our locals do!